Saturday, October 13, 2007

ACES oil tax public hearing on Sunday

• Sunday in Anchorage -- 2 p.m., Loussac Library, Wilda Marston Theatre

This is an important issue. Be there. See the proposed bill here.

A letter I sent to my legislators:

I may be in the same boat as many of your constituents in that I don't really know what prevailing oil/gas extraction taxes are around the world. I don't hive time to research it and trust that you will have some of that done by your staff.

So I would like to present my request on the subject of the ACES plan put forward by Gov. Palin.

I do not want Alaska to over react to the slimy politics of the last session, and go hard after the 'bad guys' just to show we can. Increasing taxes to the point where it is not economically feasible for oil companies to make a healthy profit doesn't make good sense.

I don't have any problem with profits. I don't care if corporations want to pay their CEOs five hundred million dollars. It isn't my concern.

What does concern me is that Alaska provide a business stimulating environment which employs those of us who live here.

The conceptual problem, as I see it, is we either try to rake off a cut on the front end with taxes or rely on increased employment and circulation of money on the other end to provide the boost in economy.



Bottom line, please err on the side of low taxes in your decision.


Thank you for your time,

No comments: