Saturday, October 6, 2007

What's so Bad About a Mormon President?

So Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Fine. Just because I believe another person is following a cult, is no reason I can't work with or get along with him.

But I have a basic problem with electing him to a position as the most powerful person on the planet. I prefer that my president is truthful, and wise. Not always achievable, but that's what I'd like. Romney just doesn't do it for me. Either he is a Mormon in name only, or he is fully aware of Mormon theology and history--both positions cause me concern.

If he is the former, and merely warms a pew on Sunday, then I fault him for not being willing or interested enough to know what he believes about the most important issue of his life. What kind of man would say he belongs to what many consider a cult and not get to the bottom of it.

Not the kind of man I want for president.

If he does know about Mormonism, about its history and teachings, then I believe he has a serious problem discerning truth from fiction. I do not believe him to be stupid, so I fault him for bad judgment.

Not the kind of man I want for president.


============

And by the way, one of my cult links has a great read on witnessing to Mormons ... here is an excerpt:

What is the point of all of this? The majority of those that come out of the cults come out because they are looking for the truth. Almost everybody that comes out of the Mormon Church, comes out because they are looking for the truth. Next time you witness to a Mormon, don't discuss eternal marriage; don't discuss major doctrines of the Bible, go straight to the Old Testament and show them Deuteronomy 18. Agree together that the first one of you that lies is serving the false religion. .....

If they are not interested in the truth, you can never convince them. You can beat all their arguments with Scripture, but that will not change them. You can prove that Joseph Smith is a false prophet, that there are mistranslations, that nothing about the archaeology of the Book of Mormon is correct, but they will walk out the door believing in Mormonism and they will just go on to the next door. Once the Mormon hears the gospel and rejects it, let them go. ...

You have to love them, and you have got to show them right away that what they are following is false. And if they will not accept that, you will get nowhere. It is up to the Spirit of God now, because your arguments will not work. Jesus said:
"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."
(Revelation 3:20)

No comments: